Wednesday, February 22, 2012

HEMC: Quality Pre-School in Mandaluyong

If you're a parent and you're looking for a pre-school for your child, I know that as early as know you're looking for a good school to enroll your child for this coming schoolyear 2012-2013.

2 years ago, I was on the same predicament. My son was 3 years old then and I was looking for a school to enroll him to that provides basic, quality education that will serve as a strong foundation for his education.

A good friend recommended Holistic Education Montessori Center. HEMC is a pre-school located here in Mandaluyong City that adheres strictly to the Montessori Method developed by Dr. Maria Montessori.

At first, I don't have any idea on what the Montessori Method was all about. However, my brother suggested that I go visit the school and check it out for myself.

HEMC is different from the traditional school that we grew up to studying. The classrooms don't have any blackboards for the teachers to teach. Instead, the classroom consists of tables and chairs for children, education materials line up the shelves on the wall, a big red circle is outlined on the floor and pigeon holes are found near the door.

If you're a little skeptical on this type of education or any school for that matter, the best thing to do is to enroll your child for a trial run. HEMC holds introductory classes even during summer to help children adjust to the Montessori style of teaching. The tuition fee is FREE. However, you will still need to pay a small miscellaneous fee to cover the food and materials to be used for the duration. If I remember it correctly, the summer class will last for 5 weeks.

I remember enrolling Celo for summer classes 2 years ago and he was really excited going to school. This was definitely a good sign as this is their ultimate goal: To have children enjoy learning.

Learning shouldn't be a chore. Learning should be exciting and enjoyable for children. The summer class lasts for 2.5 hours. Just enough to keep the children's attention span moving.

Come June 2010, I enrolled him for his First Year in HEMC. Here, Celo learned the basics from practical life/motor skills to sensorial/perceptual skills. Each class is composed of a mixed age group. Unlike in a traditional school where children are placed based on their age, HEMC mixes big kids and small kids in one class. The age ranges from 2.5 to 6 years old. I learned that this mixed age group is beneficial as students learn to help each other.

After Celo's first year, I was a little adamant because I thought he didn't learn as much. However, I still enrolled him for his 2nd Year in Montessori and truly it was one of the best decisions I made!

As the schoolyear 2011-2012 is coming to a close, I realized the big improvements he has achieved over the last 2 years he has studied in HEMC. He now knows how to read (very well, mind you!) and count (he does addition and subtraction). He also knows the months of the year, days of the week, 7 continents of the world, countries in Asia, etc. I'm completely amazed with his improvement and I am so happy that I had enrolled him there.

There are a lot more stuff I'd like to tell. But I'll save it on another post.

If you're interested to enroll your child this summer or this coming school year, HEMC can be found at #65 South Sikap St., Mandaluyong. Contact them at (632) 532-4168 or (632) 746-7078.

5 comments:

katuray said...

Hi, I want to ask you kung mganda tlga s hemc? Anu +/- feedbacks? My son cant speak that well.( late talker) may nging clssmate b c celo n tulad ng son q? Thnx

Chel said...

Hi katuray,

Yes, maganda sa HEMC. Actually, I created that post last year and I failed to create a follow-up post na.

He actually spent 2 years of "kindergarten" there. I had him take an exam sa Lourdes dito sa Manda and he passed!

One of the reasons why I like their style is because they instill learning is fun for the kids. Although akala mo laro lang, hindi pala. Kasi when I ask my son before what he does in school, he usually says "naglaro lang, Ma." But really, they're learning something naman.

He learned to read and write there. I especially like yung phonics style of teaching them for reading. My son reads very well especially in English ha. Mejo barok lang yun sa Filipino. haha..

I'm trying to remember kung meron siyang classmate na late talker.. pero parang wala akong maalala. But meron usually shy. My son is shy rin naman pero laging naka-smile yun. The school has programs to boost the child's self-confidence eh. Pag Halloween they have a program and they let the kids wear costumes tapos nagsasalita sa stage and then merong trick or treating.

I highly suggest you visit the school and also enroll your son sa Summer class para you would know if he likes it there. That's what I did kase.

In fairness, naisip ko kase I should have let him study another year there. Kaso kase nga pumasa siya for Grade 1 naman sa LSM. Mejo bata kase siya sa kanila he's 5 when he entered Grade 1 this schoolyear.

How old is your son na?

katuray said...

Hi, my son is 4 1/2 y.o. I enrolled hm in a private trdtional school near our place. Pero, when I asked him the alphabets, di nya gaanong alam m. Mas ntuto pa nga sya skin kesa s teacher nya. Although sobrng bait at binababy nya un son ko.

regarding s alpha phonics, un nga ngustuhan q s montessori. Mukng natutukan tlga unlike s trdtional na pg di mo nkuha, the nxt day ibng topic nmn.

Paano ba s mntessori school, same things lng dn ba gngwa nla for their 3 yr course? Paano ba sila mgturo? Knowing na they hve 24 stdents per class. He's my only son and I want to give him a good standard education. Natatkot kc aq bka di sya mkpasa sa big school for elem.

My son and I already vsted the school. Ayaw na nga nya umalis when he saw the plyground. Snabihan kc sya ng owner na pwde syang mglaro dn. But syempre, umuwi nlng kmi nakakahiya dn nmn.. Hehehe.

Ng inquire dn aq s ibng montessori and progressve school dto sa manda and san juan, un nga lng mxado ng mhal. And ng iipon p dn kmi pra s elem nya.. May alam k dn bng school dto s manda na krange lng un price ng hemc?

I told my husband na we should enroll our son for their summer class. Kso wag na daw dhil ieenroll dn sya dn. I just want to get some feedbacks p dn rgardng that school.

Yes, i 've,Searched for ur nxt blog about hemc kso ala n nga ako nkita.hehehe


katuray said...

Hi, my question lng ulet ako. My dad's friend told us na mganda nga daw s hemc, noon daw around 3800-4000 ang monthly tuition nila. But then, umabot cla don ng almost 70,000 a year. May hidden charges ba don? Tulad ngyon nkpost is 4500 monthly. + 7500 for misc fee which can be paid thru cash or semestral. Natakot tuloy ako bka abutin ng sbrng laki. Noon sau ba, fixed tlga yun payment nla? Knowing n nkpost p un tuition nla s net...
Hayyzzz..pcensya n s kktanong ko, gusto ko lng mkacgurdo s school n pgddlhan ko s son ko.. Mdming thanx..

Chel said...

Sis, kung ano yung posted yun na yung fees. Inclusive na lahat dun kasama na yung food, 2 shirts, 2 shorts, bag, books.

If I remember correctly, I paid 6500 for the miscellaneous and 4k monthly fee. kase 46500 lahat eh. Pamasahe na lang poproblemahin mo papasok nung bata.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com